top of this page
Skip to main content
main contents start from here

Diversity x Workplace

Diversity x Workplace, Collaboration among diverse individuals produces strength and flexibility. There is no such thing as a "normal" person. The Nomura Group values such uniqueness.

(as of October 2014)

Diverse members of Nomura

I want to support those who are working hard to shine.

Go Sugiyama
Branch manager of Kawagoe Branch

I wish for each and every individual to give it their best at whatever they challenge, both personal and in business and try myself to do so as much as possible.
I encourage and support my staff to keep higher goals and challenge with enthusiasm and pride that they are the ones who can achieve the goals.


It's not easy to balance work and personal life. However, as a branch manager, I want to establish the environment where both subordinates and superiors are able to communicate among each other so that they can work smoothly to achieve work-life management.


Nothing starts if you give up. I always try to be positive and give it my best shot.

Kayoko Kegasawa
Jiyugaoka Branch

My work is to monitor the conversation between our sales representatives and clients to make sure that we are providing sufficient information to our clients' demands. It involves a lot of recorded data, and I must focus on making sure that I do not miss a single word. I had anxiety working with disability and having to balance work and taking care of my children. However, I learned of the many employees working with disability or child-rearing at Nomura, and I felt encouraged.


Whenever I encounter something I am not sure of, I always ask my co-workers and they help me figure out a solution. The most important thing is to ask for help, to your team members or your superiors, because they are always willing to help you. I aim to communicate more and more with my team members to absorb as much knowledge and skills as possible.


To create a diverse and inclusive workplace "Be an Ally!"

Nomura LGBT Allies: Multi-Culture Value Network (MCV)

As part of Diversity & Inclusion, we foster understanding of sexual minorities exemplified by LGBT. This action is initiated by "Allies", who are the supporters of LGBT, to create an inclusive workplace for LGBT.
We communicate our messages by coordinating seminars with LGBT guest speakers and placing "Be an Ally" leaflets at office cafeterias, and we also encourage our employees to take simple steps to be an Ally by talking about LGBT issues with colleagues and speaking up when hearing discriminatory words and jokes.


About 5% of the Japanese population are said to be from the LGBT community. Once remaining 95% become allies, it will create an inclusive workplace in which anyone with diverse backgrounds can fully demonstrate their strengths.

Our Initiatives

We support flexible and diverse working styles

With a goal to ensure a working environment where both men and women can balance their work and childcare, we extended the special leave time period during and after spouses or partners' childbirth (up to 5 consecutive days till the child becomes two years old) and we encourage all eligible employees to take this leave. In the fiscal year 2015, 119 male employees took this leave (representing 27% of employees eligible at that time).
Nomura has also developed a wide range of programs to support employees manage their work and family life flexibly, such as childcare leave and childcare time beyond the law requirement. In recognition of these initiatives, we have been certified with the Kurumin logo in accordance with the Act for Measures to Support the Development of the Next Generation since 2007. (Data: Nomura Securities Co., Ltd.).


Nomura offers a wide range of employment opportunities to persons with disabilities

Percentage of employees with disabilities
Graph: Percentage of employees with disabilities

Efforts are made to respond flexibly to find work suited to the individual skills and aptitudes of candidates and provide proper motivation by discussions with the persons in the workplaces where they will work. Every year at Nomura Securities, the employment opportunities that are offered to the disabled exceed the legal requirements, and employees with disabilities are contributing actively in a wide range of departments.

Diversity Employee Network: Multi-Culture Value Network (MCV)

MCV is an employee network focusing on the variety of cultures within our organization such as race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and so on to understand more of the behavioral principles attached to each and to raise awareness so we may leverage the strengths each brings to the firm.
One of the focuses of MCV is LGBTA, with the goal of increasing a number of allies who understand the needs and support sexual minorities exemplified by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender.


go back to main menu of this page.